Digital North Carolina Blog

Digital North Carolina Blog

This blog is maintained by the staff of the North Carolina Digital Heritage Center and features highlights from the collections at DigitalNC, an online library of primary sources from institutions across North Carolina.

RSS Subscribe By Mail UNC Social Media Statement


Viewing entries by Nicole Cvjetnicanin


Yearbooks Now Online, Courtesy of Burke County Public Library!

Thanks to our partner, the Burke County Public Library, editions of several yearbooks from Burke County schools are now available on our website.

The cover of the 1969 edition of Reflections, the yearbook for West Concord School.

This batch includes the 1969 edition of Reflections, the West Concord School yearbook; the 1969 edition of Belles Memoires, the Oak Hill High School yearbook; the 1969 edition of Cavalcade, the Drexel High School yearbook; the 1969 edition of Cat’s Tale, the Morganton High School yearbook; and the 1950 edition of The Impersonator, the Francis Garrou High School yearbook.

The cover of the 1950 edition of The Impersonator, the yearbook from Francis Garrou High School.

You can view all of the materials we’ve digitized for Burke County Public Library on their contributor page. For more information about the Burke County Public Library, please visit their website.


Church Minutes And History From New Bern First Baptist Church Online Now!

Thanks to our partner, the New Bern-Craven County Public Library, we have now uploaded several books of church minutes from the First Baptist Church of New Bern, as well as a book from 1984 on the history of the congregation.

Cover for “‘In The Beginning—Baptists’!: History of the First Baptist Church, New Bern, North Carolina 1809-1984” by Edna Avery Cook.

The First Baptist Church of New Bern was founded on May 11, 1809 after numerous unsuccessful attempts to form a Baptist church on the site since before the American Revolutionary War. On July 2, 1848 the sanctuary–a gothic revival structure that still stands today–was dedicated. The structure was left mostly unharmed during the Civil War, except for an indent from a cannonball from the Battle of New Bern that was visible until renovations were completed in 1975.

Cover of the book of minutes for the First Baptist Church of New Bern from December 3, 1870-January 1, 1883.

 

For more about the New-Bern Craven County Public Library, visit their website.


Mitchell Community College Catalogs and Historic Ephemera Available Now!

Thanks to our partner, Mitchell Community College, we now have a new batch of catalogs, presidential reports, event programs and other ephemera spanning the years 1943-2011.

A brochure for Mitchell College and Academy from June 1934.

Mitchell Community College began as Concord Presbyterian Female College, chartered in 1852 in downtown Statesville, North Carolina. In 1917, its name was changed to Mitchell College and in 1924 it became a junior women’s college. However, because the Great Depression brought fewer opportunities for local men to receive a college education, Mitchell College became co-educational in 1932. In 1973, Mitchell College was incorporated into the North Carolina Community College System and became known as it is known today as Mitchell Community College. They now have two locations: one in Statesville and one in Mooresville, North Carolina.

A 1990 program for the Miss Mitchell Pageant, an annual pageant that was held at Mitchell Community College.

You can view all of the materials we’ve digitized for Mitchell Community College on their contributor page. For more information about this partner, check out their website.


Photographs from the North Carolina Community College Adult Educators Association Now Available!

Thanks to our partner, Randolph Community College, we now have photographs from the North Carolina Community College Adult Educators Association (NCCCAEA) available online along with issues of the Association’s newsletter. The photos span the years 1969-2001 and primarily capture moments from various conferences and banquets featuring members of the association. 

The NCCCAEA was formed in 1965 as the Community College Adult Educators of North Carolina. Membership is available for instructors, administrators, and support staff employed by the North Carolina Community College System.

Banner from the 1995 NCCCAEA Fall Conference.

For more information about Randolph Community College, visit their website.


Yearbooks from the Henderson County Public Library Now Online!

Thanks to our partner Henderson County Public Library, we now have a new batch of yearbooks from Henderson County schools on the website. This batch consists of issues of The Tiger, the yearbook of Ninth Avenue School in Hendersonville, North Carolina. The volumes cover the years 1950-1964.  Ninth Avenue School was the black school in Hendersonville during segregation.  

Front cover of the 1957 edition of The Tiger, the yearbook of Ninth Avenue School in Hendersonville, North Carolina.

You can see other yearbooks we’ve scanned for Henderson County Public Library on their contributor page. For more information about this partner, visit their website.


Catalogs from the University of North Carolina at Pembroke Now Available!

Thanks to our partner, the University of North Carolina at Pembroke, catalogs from the school and its precursors are now available on our website. The catalogs are from 1906, when the school was called the Croatan Normal School, to 2013, when it was known as it is now as UNC-Pembroke.

The title page of the 1906 catalog for the Croatan Normal School.

The school was originally established in 1887 as the Croatan Normal School as a result of legislation that passed in response to a petition by Native Americans of the area. This original school was established for the training of Native American teachers in Robeson County. In 1909 the school was moved to Pembroke and in 1911 the name was changed to the Indian Normal School of Robeson County. Then, in 1913, the name was changed again to the Cherokee Indian Normal School of Robeson County. In 1933, junior college coursework was added to the school’s curriculum and in 1939, four-year degree programs were instituted. In 1941 the name was changed again to the Pembroke State College for Indians. In 1945, enrollment was opened to people from all government-recognized groups of Native Americans, rather than just the Native Americans from Robeson County. In 1953, white students began to be admitted to the school and in 1969, the name was changed to Pembroke State University. In 1972, the University of North Carolina system was established, with Pembroke State University as one of the sixteen campuses included. In 1996, the school became The University of North Carolina at Pembroke, as it is known today.

The cover of the Pembroke State University course catalog from the 1975-1976 academic year.

We’ll be working with the University of North Carolina at Pembroke to fill in additional catalogs over the coming months. We’ve also worked with them to scan their yearbooks, and you can see those on their contributor page. For more information about the university, visit their website.


Editions of the Meredith College Herald and Oak Leaves Now Available!

Thanks to our partner, Meredith College, we now have more editions of the Meredith College student newspapers the Meredith Herald and the Twig, and the yearbook, Oak Leaves.

Front page of the September 12, 2018 issue of the Meredith Herald.

This batch includes issues of the Twig from April 10, 1965-May 25, 1966 and issues of the Meredith Herald from March 4, 2015-April 10, 2019. Both newspapers report on events both at the college and in the surrounding area. The issues of the Twig include topics such as drinking legislation updates and graduation schedule announcements. Issues of the Herald include topics such as the Silent Sam controversy at UNC-Chapel Hill and the name change for the Meredith College newspaper from the Twig to the Meredith Herald. Also recently uploaded are editions of Oak Leaves, the yearbook of Meredith College, from 2010-2018.

The cover of the 2015 edition of Oak Leaves, the yearbook of Meredith College.

To view all of the items we’ve scanned for Meredith take a look at their contributor page. For more information about this partner, visit their website.


Additional Photographs Showcasing Edgecombe County’s Historic Architecture Online Now

A newly digitized batch of photographs of historic homes and structures in Edgecombe County has been added to our website, courtesy of our partner, the Edgecombe County Memorial Library. Follow this link see the previously published batch of photos and this link to see the blog post about the previous batch of photographs.

One of the houses exhibited in these photographs is the Hart House, built by William A. Hart, a well-known Edgecombe County businessman and farmer, in 1909. This home is a rare example of a columned house in the Neo-Classical style in Tarboro.

The M. A. Hart House, located at 1109 Main St. in Tarboro, N.C.

Another house that can be seen in the batch of photographs is the J. J. Green House. This two-story home with its blend of Queen Anne and Neo-Classical architectural themes was built around 1900 by Rocky Mount architect John C. Stout, the cashier of the Bank of Tarboro.

A photograph of the J. J. Green House, located at 800 Main St. in Tarboro, N.C.

For more about the Edgecombe County Memorial Library, visit their partner page or check out their website.


Several Wayne County Boy’s Club Scrapbooks are now live!

Several scrapbooks from the Wayne County Boy’s Club have been added to our website, courtesy of our partner the Wayne County Public Library. These scrapbooks include histories of the club, photos, newspaper clippings, and other memorabilia from or related to the Wayne County Boy’s Club. They roughly span the years of 1946-1980.  The scrapbook from 1974-1975 focuses on the integration of the Boys Club in Goldsboro, when the EA House and Paley units of the club combined.  

The cover of the Boy’s Club Scrapbook containing materials from the period between 1946-1959.

In addition to these scrapbooks, this batch also includes the program from the Eastern North Carolina Drama Festival, which was held at Goldsboro High School on March 27-29, 1947.

For more information on the Wayne County Public Library, please visit their website.


Publications from the Penland School of Craft now available!

Thanks to our new partner, the Penland School of Craft, we now have course catalogs covering the years 1939-1962, nine issues of the Grapevine campus newsletter, several issues of the Mountain Milestones pamphlets from 1932-1962, Annual Reports from 1998-2015, and the student publications The Story of the Penland Weavers and the Weaver’s Hornbook: Tale of What Is Weaving WhereThe Penland Line, a newspaper published by the staff of Penland for the Penland and wider craft community, is also now on DigitalNC.  

Penland School of Craft is an educational institution in Penland, NC. It was founded by Lucy Morgan in 1929 and it functions to this day as an educational community for craft artists, offering courses in mediums such as book arts and textiles. Students live on-campus throughout the duration of their workshops, and they only take one workshop at a time to ensure total immersion in their chosen craft. The school also offer a number of residencies and fellowships throughout the year.

The cover of the course catalog for the tenth session of the Penland School, which spanned the time period of June 26th to August 26th, 1939.

For more information about the Penland School of Craft, visit their institutional website.