A set of scrapbooks from our partner, Central Piedmont Community College, tells the story of CPCC starting with its origins in two different schools. CPCC, located in Charlotte, N.C., was created in 1963 from the merger of Mecklenburg College and the Central Industrial Education Center. Mecklenburg College, started in 1949 and originally called Carver College, was formed to serve black veterans returning from WWII. The Central Industrial Education Center was started in 1959 and offered occupational training courses to adults in North Carolina. In 1963, the primarily black Mecklenburg College and the primarily white Central Industrial Education Center merged to form the integrated Central Piedmont Community College. Documentation of both of the schools along with the merger can be seen in the first four scrapbooks of this collection, which span 1949-1963. Further scrapbooks cover 1963-1969 and cover the growth of CPCC as an institution.
Included in these scrapbook are newspaper clippings from newspapers such as Charlotte Observer, and Charlotte News, event programs, faculty profiles, newsletters, promotional materials, and more. These scrapbooks are fully text searchable, and are a wonderful resource for tracking both the history of CPCC, and educational trends throughout North Carolina.
Click here to browse the scrapbooks. To view other materials from Central Piedmont Community College, including yearbooks and course catalogs, view their partner page. To learn more about CPCC, take a look at their website.