Does your organization have audiovisual materials you’d like to digitize and share online? The North Carolina Digital Heritage Center is looking for nominations of film, video, and audio materials to digitize and add to DigitalNC.org’s Sights and Sounds collection.
If you’re part of a cultural heritage organization and have audiovisual materials you’d like digitized, let us know. The Center will evaluate all of the nominations (see evaluation criteria below) in an effort to select a variety of content in different formats and which represents the cultural and geographic diversity of North Carolina.
Nominating items is easy! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of the items you have. Please include the following:
- number of items
- types of formats represented
- what the items contain, to the best of your knowledge
Deadline for nominations is April 14, 2016. We’re happy to answer questions if you’d like more information, by emailing us at the address above or calling (919) 962-4836.
- Is the film, video, or tape believed to be unique to your collection, or are there copies at other institutions?
- Do you have equipment available to play the media you’re nominating?
- Is the media believed to be at least 40 years old?
- Are you willing to have the media sent to a vendor to be digitized?
- Is there a catalog record or anything describing the content of the media?
- Does the media cover a time period of historical significance? (For example: Civil War, Great Depression, World War II).
- Was the media created by, or does it contain significant content by or about one of North Carolina’s historically underrepresented communities?
- Is the media from a county or region that is already represented on DigitalNC.org or other digital library projects?
- Is there a demonstrated demand for online access to the media? If so, are there examples, such as requests from users or community members?
- If this media is digitized, is the contributing institution willing to promote the media through press releases and other announcements or programs?