Digital North Carolina Blog

Digital North Carolina Blog

This blog is maintained by the staff of the North Carolina Digital Heritage Center and features highlights from the collections at DigitalNC, an online library of primary sources from institutions across North Carolina.

RSS Subscribe By Mail UNC Social Media Statement

Viewing entries posted in June 2021

Montgomery Community College 50 Years of Success and Catalogs Now Available

Thanks to our new partner, Montgomery Community College, nine catalogs covering years from 1969 to 1992 and a publication that details the college’s 50 year history (1967-2017) are now available on our website.

Montgomery Community College: 50 years of Success cover. There is an image of the older campus in black and white with the newer building pictured on the bottom.

Montgomery Community College (originally the Montgomery Technical Institute) was established on September 7, 1967 in Troy, North Carolina. Due to the Montgomery County’s status of one of the most rural, least populated, and isolated counties in North Carolina the college faced tremendous challenges to get started and chartered. According to Montgomery Community College: 50 Years of Success there was a delay of several years to have the college established due to state leaders thinking it would not succeed. The citizens of Montgomery County proved them wrong. The campus currently includes facilities of approximately 134,400 square feet on 153 acres of land and over 400 enrolled students. 

Pictures of the early machine shop class with instructor Frank Lemonds and early industrial sewing class in the annex building.

To learn more about Montgomery Community College, please visit their website.

Yearbooks from the North Carolina School for the Deaf Now Online

DigitalNC is happy to announce 35 yearbooks from our new partner, the North Carolina School for the Deaf. All of these yearbooks are from said school and cover years between 1915-1971.

The North Carolina School for the Deaf was founded in 1891 in Morganton, NC, located in the western part of the state. In a move to separate hearing impaired students from vision impaired students, whom all had a place under one school in Raleigh that went by the demeaning name of the North Carolina Institution for the Deaf and Dumb and the Blind, funds were established for the school at Morganton. The first brick laid for the school (with a name close to it’s sister school; the North Carolina School for the Deaf and Dumb) was by two future pupils, Maggie LeGrand and Robert C. Miller, on May 16, 1892. Doors were opened to 100 pupils on October 2, 1894. In 1907, the name officially changed to The North Carolina School for the Deaf (Class Book, images 17-18).

Funds from the state’s building program and a W.P.A. grant in the early 1940s allowed the school to construct cold storage, fencing, barns, a poultry house, playgrounds, an athletic field, as well as renovate school buildings to be properly fireproofed and ventilated (The Deaf Carolinian, image 22). Fast-forward to 1965, and the school has a large campus, with buildings both original and new.

To learn more about the history of the North Carolina School for the Deaf, please visit their website.  To view more yearbooks from across North Carolina, visit the North Carolina Yearbooks page.


North Carolina School for the Deaf. Class Book, Class of 1934 North Carolina School for the Deaf.

North Carolina School for the Deaf. The Deaf Carolinian.

1971 Pisgahteer and 1971 Tuscola Mountaineer Now Available

Thanks to our partner, Haywood County Public Library, the 1971 issues of the Pisgah High School and Tuscola High School yearbooks are now available on our website.

Pisgah High School officially opened on August 29, 1966 with an enrollment of 974 students and 49 teachers. The creation of the high school was in response to a desire to consolidate schools within Haywood County to two, replacing four other high schools in the area including Canton, Reynolds, Bethel, and Clyde High School. Pisgah High School today continues to educate the children of Canton, North Carolina.

1971 Senior Superlatives for: most athletic, most talented, wittiest, best all round, most likely to succeed, friendliest, most dependable, best looking, prettiest, most courteous, most intelligent, and most popular. Included are three pictures of students in areas around the school including the gym and music room.

1971 Senior Superlatives

Like Pisgah, Tuscola High School was created in response to Haywood County’s desire in 1963 to consolidate schools in the area. Originally, the school only taught sophomores, juniors, and seniors but in 1993 added freshman to the student body. The school today has over 900 students with approximately 90 teachers. 

A page titled "America?" Two images which show a factory and a field. Under the picture of the factory the caption says, "Oh, beautiful for spacious skies." Under the the field photo the caption reads "For amber waves of grain."Two pictures on top of each other. The first one's caption is "For purple mountains majesty." The image itself is of a small pond with pollution. The bottom picture is of a lot with several rows of broken cars. The caption for the second photo is "Above the fruited plains."

To learn more about the Haywood County Public Library, please visit their website

For more yearbooks from across North Carolina, visit our yearbook collection.

Mid-1800s Chatham County Superior Court Minute Docket Now Online

DigitalNC is proud to host the entire contents of a Chatham County Superior Court Minute Docket that spans from October 10, 1839 to December 3, 1866. This minute docket was provided by our partners at Chatham County Historical Association.

This minute docket is a primary source of legal cases from Chatham County, N.C. in the mid-1800s, including names of those who were called to court and what the disputes covered. Notably, this record was saved from the Chatham County Courthouse fire that occurred on March 25, 2010.

Also, you may be wondering what the object at the left corner of the docket image is; it’s a bone folder! We use bone folders to assist with digitization. In this case, you’ll find it gently holds back the pages that wouldn’t stay flat. You’ll also find weighted strings doing the same work on several other pages.

To look at the entire Chatham County Superior Court Minute Docket, click here. To learn more about the Chatham County Historical Association, you can view their homepage here.

New Newspaper, Chapel Hill News Leader, Online Now

Thanks to our partners at the Chapel Hill Historical Society, DigitalNC is now home to 167 issues of the Chapel Hill News Leader. This batch includes issues from May 20, 1954 to December 29, 1955.

Covering stories in and around Chapel Hill and Carrboro, NC, the Chapel Hill News Leader frequently spoke on events at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. In 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court outlawed racial segregation in public schools and in 1955 federal courts ordered the admission of Black undergraduates to UNC. The Chapel Hill News Leader, leading with a now famous photo, noted the admission of Leroy Frasier, John Lewis Brandon, and Ralph Frasier, the first Black undergraduate students at UNC, on their first day of school, September 15, 1955.

To view all issues of the Chapel Hill News Leader, click here. To learn more about the Chapel Hill Historical Society, please visit their website here.

Livingstone College and Boyden High School Yearbooks Now Available

Thanks to our partner, Rowan Public Library, Boyden High School and Livingstone College yearbooks are now available on our website. This batch includes yearbooks from 1941 for Boyden High School and 1930, 1946-1947 for Livingstone College.

Livingstone College is a historically Black college located in Salisbury, North Carolina. In 1879, the college was founded by the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Zion Church and was just a single building on 40 acres of land. In 1887,  the school was renamed from Zion Wesley College to Livingstone College in honor of David Livingstone—a philanthropist, explorer, and Christian missionary. Today, the college consists of more than 15 buildings on over 300 acres of land with over a thousand enrolled students. 

Pictures of students and the Livingstone College campus.Several pictures featuring various groupings of Livingstone College students.

In 1904, Salisbury High School was founded in to educate children of the area. Twenty-two years after its founding, in 1926, the school’s name changed to Boyden High School after a new school building was built. The school remained Boyden for almost 50 years until the name was reverted back to Salisbury High School in 1971. 
Page in the 1941 Salisbury High School yearbook detailing the various statistics of the class of 1941 including average height, eye color, etc.

To learn more about Rowan Public Library, please visit their website.

To view our North Carolina African American high school yearbooks, visit our African American high schools collection.

For more yearbooks from across North Carolina, visit our yearbook collection.