With the recent addition of student yearbooks from Livingstone College, DigitalNC now hosts historic materials from ten different Historically Black Colleges and Universities in North Carolina. These materials document more than a century of African American higher education in North Carolina. From our earliest projects in 2010 to the present, the North Carolina Digital Heritage Center has worked closely with libraries and archives at historically Black colleges around the state, and we continue to add materials from these collections on a regular basis. Follow the links below to browse yearbooks, newspapers, photos, scrapbooks, and more materials by school.
Bennett College (Greensboro)
- Yearbooks: 1926, 1961-2002
- Student newspapers: 1934-2002
- Scrapbooks and photo albums: 1930s through 1990s
- Yearbooks: 1892-2012
- Student newspapers: 1927-2011
- Photographs: 1980s through 1970s
- Trustees Minutes: 1897-1967
Johnson C. Smith University (Charlotte)
- Yearbooks: 1929-2006
- Photographs: 1890s-1960s
- Find more digitized Johnson C. Smith University history at Digital Smith.
Livingstone College (Salisbury)
- Yearbooks: 1927-2014
North Carolina A&T (Greensboro)
- Yearbooks and school catalogs: 1895-2013
- Find digitized student newspapers and more in the Bluford Library Institutional Repository.
North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Yearbooks: 1929-2010
- Student newspapers: 1927-1969
- The UNC-Chapel Hill University Library hosts digitized manuscripts from the James E. Shepard and Floyd McKissick papers.
Saint Augustine’s University (Raleigh)
Shaw University (Raleigh)
- Yearbooks and school catalogs: 1882-2014