Digital Davie shares glimpses of Davie County history through digital images of the people, places, institutions, and events that have shaped the county in the past and continue to do so today.
Digital Davie makes extensive use of the research published in the book History of Davie County in the Forks of the Yadkin by James W. Wall, Davie County historian, whose dedication and lifelong interest in promoting county history are much appreciated by the citizens of Davie County.
Browse Contents by Theme
Davie County includes eight townships. Mocksville, named the county seat in 1836, incorporated in 1839. A post office had operated in Mocksville since 1810, when the town was known as Old Mocks Field. Calahaln Township existed as early as 1780, when it was chosen as the site for Beals Meetinghouse, the first Methodist Church in western North Carolina. Jerusalem Township came into being sometime before 1815 when Nicholas Click donated land for the New Jerusalem Church in southern Davie County. Jacob Hanes laid off the town of Fulton on the Yadkin River in eastern Davie County in 1819. The Fulton ferry carried traffic across the river. The Bryan Settlement of the late 1700s encompassed what became Farmington Township in the northeast sector of the county. The Farmington Post Office was established in 1837. The Georgia Road ran through Clarksville Township (named such in 1868), first named Chinquapin, in the northwest section of Davie County. Shady Grove Township includes the town of Advance, incorporated in 1893 to protect its thriving distillery business from local option elections which were shutting down distilling operations in western North Carolina. . The town of Cooleemee began in 1899 with the purchase of 532 acres of land from Fannie C. Hairston of Cooleemee Plantation. The Town of Bermuda Run is the newest municipality in Davie County, incorporated on July 1, 1999.