Digital Davie shares glimpses of Davie County history through digital images of the people, places, institutions, and events that have shaped the county in the past and continue to do so today.
Digital Davie makes extensive use of the research published in the book History of Davie County in the Forks of the Yadkin by James W. Wall, Davie County historian, whose dedication and lifelong interest in promoting county history are much appreciated by the citizens of Davie County.
Browse Contents by Theme
Formation of Davie County
In December 1836, the North Carolina legislature named a new county carved from Rowan after William R. Davie, Revolutionary War hero and North Carolina governor. Three years later, Mocksville became the seat of Davie County, building the original courthouse in the center of the town square. In 1909, a new courthouse building replaced the old building, which survived until the paving of Main Street in 1922. The National Register of Historic Places added the current courthouse in 1979.