This week we have another 45 newspapers added to DigitalNC including our first titles from Ridgeway, North Carolina!
In the June 15th, 1920 issue of the Asheville Citizen we have an article celebrating UNC’s class of 1920 where recent graduate, and Asheville native, Thomas Wolfe reads the class poem and presents the class gift at an alumni event. It would be almost a decade until his iconic debut novel, Look Homeward, Angel, is published.
Over the next year, we’ll be adding millions of newspaper images to DigitalNC. These images were originally digitized a number of years ago in a partnership with Newspapers.com. That project focused on scanning microfilmed papers published before 1923 held by the North Carolina Collection in Wilson Special Collections Library. While you can currently search all of those pre-1923 issues on Newspapers.com, over the next year we will also make them available in our newspaper database as well. This will allow you to search that content alongside the 2 million pages already on our site – all completely open access and free to use.
This week’s additions include:
- Concord Weekly Gazette (Concord, N.C.) – 1855-1857
- The Carolina Flag (Concord, N.C.) – 1861-1862
- The Concord Sun (Concord, N.C.) – 1878-1880
- The People’s Paper (Concord, N.C.) – 1879
- The Temperance Herald (Concord, N.C.) – 1881
- The Enterprise (Concord, N.C.) – 1883
- The Prohibition Banner (Concord, N.C.) – 1886
- The Concord Times (Concord, N.C.) – 1904-1905
- North-Carolina Intelligencer, and Fayetteville Advertiser (Fayetteville, N.C.) – 1806-1808
- The Fayetteville Index (Fayetteville, N.C.) – 1915-1917
- The North Carolina Circular, and Newbern Weekly Advertiser (New Bern, N.C.) – 1803-1805
- The Morning Herald (New Bern, N.C.) – 1807-1808
- Newbern Herald (New Bern, N.C.) – 1809-1810
- The True Republican, and Newbern Weekly Advertiser (New Bern, N.C.) – 1810-1811
- The Carolinian (New Bern, N.C.) – 1815
- The Hornet’s Nest (New Bern, N.C.) – 1847
- Newbern Enquirer (New Bern, N.C.) – 1860
- The Daily Herald (New Bern, N.C.) – 1868
- The Campaign Anti-Radical (New Bern, N.C.) – 1870
- The Daily Liberal (New Bern, N.C.) – 1872
- The Record (Reidsville, N.C.) – 1872-1873
- The Enterprise (Reidsville, N.C.) – 1875
- Reidsville News (Reidsville, N.C.) – 1875-1879
If you want to see all of the newspapers we have available on DigitalNC, you can find them here. Thanks to UNC-Chapel Hill Libraries for permission to and support for adding all of this content as well as the content to come. We also thank the North Caroliniana Society for providing funding to support staff working on this project.