Thanks to our partner, Sandhills Community College, we now have minutes for the Trustees of Sandhills Community College meetings from 1963-1989 on our website.
A page from the January 20, 1964 minutes of a meeting of the Trustees of Sandhills Community College.
These meeting minutes discuss a wide variety of topics such as budgets and funding, hiring processes, new course offerings, and employment leave. The minutes start in 1963, the year in which the college was chartered and became a member of the North Carolina Community College System.
Sandhills Community College is located in Southern Pines, North Carolina and has been holding classes since 1966. The college has recently begun the SCC Archives Project to preserve historical materials relating to the college.
For more information about Sandhills Community College, please visit their website.
Thanks to our partner, The Ward House: Bethel Heritage Center, we now have a 1947 edition of The Hickory Stick yearbook on our site. This yearbook is from Bethel High School in Bethel, North Carolina. The yearbook joins 20 others from Bethel High School, bringing the coverage of the school from 1947 up to 1970.
Cover of the 1947 edition of The Hickory Stick yearbook from Bethel High School in Bethel, N.C
To view more North Carolina yearbooks visit our yearbooks page here.
Thanks to our partners at The University of North Carolina at Asheville, DigitalNC is proud to host over 200 new issues of UNCA student newspapers, with years ranging from 1948 to 2018. This upload includes issues from the following titles:
The Blue Banner continues as the current student newspaper, but the previous iterations formed the building blocks it still adheres to. While these titles all kept UNCA students abreast of current events happening around the campus, city, and world, The Rag and Bone Shop didn’t shy away from controversy (click here for the Easter cover and here for the response cover) and Kaleidoscope wrote weekly entertainment reviews on local and national music. The Blue Banner continues these themes today, frequently reporting on current politics such as The Woman’s March, school shootings, and DACA recipients. Other periodic articles of note include Ink of the Week and Beat from the Street.
To learn more about the student newspapers of UNCA and see all issues, click here. For more information on UNCA and to view their other contributions, click here.
Thanks to our new partner, the Friends of Wakelon, we now have several yearbooks from Wakelon High School on our website. These yearbooks are from the years 1949-1970.
The cover of the 1960 edition of the Wak-igh-an yearbook, from Wakelon High School in Zebulon, N.C.
Wakelon School was built over one hundred years ago between the towns of Wakefield and Zebulon in Wake County. The school building was recently converted into a town hall for Zebulon. The school existed until the 1980s when pharmaceutical company Glaxo bought the structure. The town of Zebulon repurchased it in 2007 for $5 million.
The cover of the 1957 edition of the Wak-igh-an yearbook, from Wakelon High School in Zebulon, N.C.
For more information about the Friends of Wakelon, visit their website.
Thanks to our partner Wayne County Public Library, we have added several items covering Goldsboro and Wayne County history to DigitalNC this past fall. Promotional items encouraging folks to “Come to Goldsboro” published by the Chamber of Commerce and city itself in the 1910s are included, as are a yearbook and history of the First Presbyterian Church, city ordinances from 1885 and speeches given by prominent citizens of the town.
Booklet published by the Goldsboro Chamber of Commerce encouraging business in the city in 1913
We also now have yearbooks online from local Wayne County High Schools spanning the period of 1959-1968. The yearbooks are from Central High School, New Hope High School, Charles B. Aycock High School, and Dillard High School.
The cover of the 1960 issue of Nohosca, the yearbook for New Hope High School in Goldsboro, N.C.
For more information about the Wayne County Public Library, visit their website.
Thanks to our new partner, Coastal Carolina Community College, course catalogs from the college for the period of 1967-2008 are available on DigitalNC. This batch also includes course catalogs from Onslow Technical Insitute, which later became Coastal Carolina Community College.
The cover for the course catalog for Coastal Carolina Community College from the 1990-1991 academic year.
The school, located in Jacksonville, North Carolina, started as the Onslow Industrial Education Center in 1965 and was renamed the Onslow Technical Institute in 1967. In 1970, the school was granted status as a community college. It was then renamed Coastal Carolina Community College, as it is known today.
The cover of the course catalog for Onslow Technical Institute for the 1967-1968 academic year.
For more information about Coastal Carolina Community College, visit their website.
Thanks to our partner, the Burke County Public Library, editions of several yearbooks from Burke County schools are now available on our website.
The cover of the 1969 edition of Reflections, the yearbook for West Concord School.
This batch includes the 1969 edition of Reflections, the West Concord School yearbook; the 1969 edition of Belles Memoires, the Oak Hill High School yearbook; the 1969 edition of Cavalcade, the Drexel High School yearbook; the 1969 edition of Cat’s Tale, the Morganton High School yearbook; and the 1950 edition of The Impersonator, the Francis Garrou High School yearbook.
The cover of the 1950 edition of The Impersonator, the yearbook from Francis Garrou High School.
You can view all of the materials we’ve digitized for Burke County Public Library on their contributor page. For more information about the Burke County Public Library, please visit their website.
Thanks to our partner, Mitchell Community College, we now have a new batch of catalogs, presidential reports, event programs and other ephemera spanning the years 1943-2011.
A brochure for Mitchell College and Academy from June 1934.
Mitchell Community College began as Concord Presbyterian Female College, chartered in 1852 in downtown Statesville, North Carolina. In 1917, its name was changed to Mitchell College and in 1924 it became a junior women’s college. However, because the Great Depression brought fewer opportunities for local men to receive a college education, Mitchell College became co-educational in 1932. In 1973, Mitchell College was incorporated into the North Carolina Community College System and became known as it is known today as Mitchell Community College. They now have two locations: one in Statesville and one in Mooresville, North Carolina.
A 1990 program for the Miss Mitchell Pageant, an annual pageant that was held at Mitchell Community College.
You can view all of the materials we’ve digitized for Mitchell Community College on their contributor page. For more information about this partner, check out their website.
Thanks to our partner Henderson County Public Library, we now have a new batch of yearbooks from Henderson County schools on the website. This batch consists of issues of The Tiger, the yearbook of Ninth Avenue School in Hendersonville, North Carolina. The volumes cover the years 1950-1964. Ninth Avenue School was the black school in Hendersonville during segregation.
Front cover of the 1957 edition of The Tiger, the yearbook of Ninth Avenue School in Hendersonville, North Carolina.
You can see other yearbooks we’ve scanned for Henderson County Public Library on their contributor page. For more information about this partner, visit their website.
Thanks to our partner, the University of North Carolina at Pembroke, catalogs from the school and its precursors are now available on our website. The catalogs are from 1906, when the school was called the Croatan Normal School, to 2013, when it was known as it is now as UNC-Pembroke.
The title page of the 1906 catalog for the Croatan Normal School.
The school was originally established in 1887 as the Croatan Normal School as a result of legislation that passed in response to a petition by Native Americans of the area. This original school was established for the training of Native American teachers in Robeson County. In 1909 the school was moved to Pembroke and in 1911 the name was changed to the Indian Normal School of Robeson County. Then, in 1913, the name was changed again to the Cherokee Indian Normal School of Robeson County. In 1933, junior college coursework was added to the school’s curriculum and in 1939, four-year degree programs were instituted. In 1941 the name was changed again to the Pembroke State College for Indians. In 1945, enrollment was opened to people from all government-recognized groups of Native Americans, rather than just the Native Americans from Robeson County. In 1953, white students began to be admitted to the school and in 1969, the name was changed to Pembroke State University. In 1972, the University of North Carolina system was established, with Pembroke State University as one of the sixteen campuses included. In 1996, the school became The University of North Carolina at Pembroke, as it is known today.
The cover of the Pembroke State University course catalog from the 1975-1976 academic year.
We’ll be working with the University of North Carolina at Pembroke to fill in additional catalogs over the coming months. We’ve also worked with them to scan their yearbooks, and you can see those on their contributor page. For more information about the university, visit their website.